Acid trip effects are felt within 20 to 90 minutes of ingesting the drug. Although the average acid trip can last anywhere from 6 to 15 hours, most trips won’t last more than 12 hours. After your trip is over, you may experience “afterglow” effects for another six hours.
Between the initial trip and the comedown, it can take up to 24 hours before your body returns to its typical state of being.
Traces of acid will be detectable in your urine for five days and in your hair follicles for 90 days after ingestion.
Read on to learn more about what to expect during a trip and why these effects last so long.
Lysergic acid diethylamide (LSD), or acid as it’s commonly known, is a potent, long-lasting psychoactive drug. In part, it’s derived from a fungus that grows on rye and other grains.
The synthetic drug has a chemical structure similar to serotonin, a “feel-good” chemical in your brain.
Acid Trip Visuals
When acid molecules land on serotonin receptors, they cause LSD’s well-known visual and physical effects. This includes color and shape distortions, hallucinations, and other psychedelic effects.
LSD molecules bind more strongly to serotonin receptors than serotonin itself. When the molecules nestle into the receptor pockets, amino acids within the receptor put a “lid” over the molecules. This traps the molecules in place.
The drug’s effects won’t begin to fade until the molecules are knocked off or come loose from the serotonin receptor. This can take anywhere from 6 to 15 hours. It all depends on the potency of the drug, your size, and any other medications you might be taking.
Acid is a colorless, odorless liquid. For consumption, an acid manufacturer typically drips the liquid onto absorbent, colorful paper squares called blotter papers. Each blotter paper can have several “tabs.” One tab is usually enough to induce a trip.
LSD is also sometimes sold as capsules, pills, or sugar cubes. In each form, LSD is diluted with other chemicals or products. Potency for each LSD product varies. There’s virtually no way to know how much LSD is in any form you take.
LSD is considered a safe and nontoxic drug when taken at standard doses. LSD toxicity, or death from LSD, is rare.
You’re more likely to have a “bad acid trip” — a distressing psychedelic episode — than you are to experience physical harm.